Are you stuck in a breakfast rut? During the weekdays, it’s always a rush to get going in the morning for many families. Simple breakfast staples like cereal and milk, toasts and jam, bagels and cream cheese become the routine ways to start the day. But on the weekends, why not gather around the table and treat your family to a tasty breakfast? Today, I’ve got a fun, unique recipe to satisfy those hungry tummies!
There are many good reasons to incorporate cereal into your weekly meal planning, and these Honey Crunch French Toast Sticks are one of the them. Thick slices of French bread are coated with crushed cereal and cooked until golden brown and crunchy. Sweet, crunchy, and perfectly dippable, the whole family will love this delicious breakfast.
To start, I used French bread (or Texas toasts) and cut them into 1-inch sticks. If you have stale bread, that’s even better.
Dip them in an egg mixture whisked together with milk and a touch of honey, then coat with crushed Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds – which is a favorite cereal in our house.
Fry them in a melted butter on all sides until the coating turns crunchy and golden brown. And that’s all – quick and easy!
These can easily be frozen and reheated whenever you need a convenient breakfast, or after school snack. To reheat, you can bake them in a 350F oven until heated through, about 15 minutes. It’s become a welcome meal for our breakfast in the mornings, it certainly mixes it up from plain old breakfast foods.
Are you drooling yet? It’s really THAT good.
This recipe doesn’t take a ton of ingredients, and you can grab them all at Walmart the next time you’re there. I used Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds but you can also use your favorite Post cereal like Grape Nuts Original and Honey Comb, of course. The thing I love about Post is that there’s a wide variety of cereals that will satisfy everyone!
Right now, Post is also partnering with Nintendo Switch on a sweepstakes, which you could instantly win 1 of 500 Nintendo Switch Prize Packs! Make sure to pair game time with a delicious serving of Post cereals: a unique, delicious recipe like this one.
Now are you ready to make a tasty breakfast for the family? I promise you will enjoy these Honey Crunch French Toast Sticks as much as we did!
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 3 cups Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds, crushed
- 4 slices French bread or Texas toast, cut into 1 inch sticks
- 2 tbsps unsalted butter
- Maple syrup and confectioners' sugar, for serving
- Whisk together eggs, milk and honey in a shallow dish. Put the crushed cereal in another shallow dish.
- Dip bread sticks in the egg mixture, one at a time, then let the excess egg mixture drip off and coat with cereal. Press gently to help the cereal adhere.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook French toast sticks until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Serve warm.
Here are more breakfast recipes you may enjoy:
- Spinach, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Wrap
- Chunky Monkey Breakfast Cookies
- Strawberry Cheesecake French Toast Rolls
- Cinnamon Sugar Twisted Knots