Throw together this flavorful chicken fajita quinoa bowl for a hearty and healthy lunch or dinner.
Here is another one of my favorite feel good meals lately. Chicken fajitas are generally super quick and simple to throw together, and when you serve that on top of some cooked quinoa, you get a one-bowl healthy meal that is not at all shy of some fabulous bold flavors.
You can use store bought taco seasoning, but I highly recommend making your own because you can control the amount of salt and adjust the spices according to your preferences.
- 1½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 tbsps taco seasoning
- 2 tbsps fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsps olive oil, divided
- 1 red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups quinoa, cooked
- 2 avocados, pitted and diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Optional toppings: shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine chicken, taco seasoning, lime juice, and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Seal and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- In large skillet over medium high heat, saute peppers and onions in remaining oil until tender. Remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add chicken (discard marinade) and saute until cooked through. Return pepper mixture to the skillet and heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble, fill bowls with quinoa and top with chicken, peppers, onions, and avocado. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
What is your favorite Mexican inspired dish?