This Pesto Chicken Quinoa Power Bowl is loaded with flavor and perfect for weekdays when you need to get a healthy meal on the table fast!
Lately I’m obsessed with grain bowls which are basically whole grains topped with protein, veggies, dressings and toppings. I love how versatile they are because you can customize with whatever ingredients you have on hand. The options are endless and they all result in delicious and nutritious meals!
This month I will be sharing a few of my favorite grain bowls, starting with this Pesto Chicken Quinoa Power Bowl.
This bowl is packed with good-for-you ingredients like sautéed chicken breast, red peppers, creamy avocado, toasted pepitas, and quinoa (I used a mix of white and red quinoa). A drizzle of basil pesto vinaigrette on top just gives it extra flavor and freshness.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup quinoa
- ½ cup red peppers, diced
- ½ avocado, pitted and diced
- 2 tbsps pepitas, toasted
- ½ cup packed fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1½ tbsps pine nuts, toasted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add oil and saute chicken until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, combine quinoa with 2 cups water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook for about 15 minutes or until the grains are tender and all of the liquid has absorbed.
- To make the basil pesto vinaigrette, combine basil, olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic and pine nuts in a food processor or blender, and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble, divide cooked quinoa into two bowls and arrange chicken, red peppers, avocado, and toasted pepitas on top. Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve warm or cold.
Do you enjoy these grain bowls as much as I do? What is your favorite ingredient combo?