This colorful Cobb Salad gets a southwestern twist with the addition of seasoned ground beef and smoky chipotle buttermilk dressing.
I have been making lots of different entree salads lately so it probably comes as no surprise that this Cobb Salad would be making an appearance sooner than later. Cobb salads are all about the toppings, and this one is no exception. It’s loaded with chopped romaine lettuce, hard-boiled eggs, juicy cherry tomatoes, creamy avocado, and shredded Mexican-blend cheese. Plus some seasoned ground beef and chipotle buttermilk dressing for a south of the border twist.
I like the crunch from fresh romaine lettuce but feel free to substitute with iceberg or Bibb lettuce. You can even serve the salad in a taco bowl.
For the ground beef in this recipe, I used my homemade taco seasoning mix which I always keep a jar on hand — it’s perfect for seasoning grilled chicken breasts, dips, and lots of Tex-Mex dishes!
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 tsp adobo sauce (optional, for more heat)
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 tbsps taco seasoning mix
- 3-4 large heads of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 ripe avocado, seeded and diced
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, diced
- ½ cup shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- Whisk dressing ingredients together until well combined. If the dressing is too thick, add water one teaspoon at a time until the right consistency is reached. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil and cook ground beef until it is browned and crumbled, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain and discard any excess grease.
- Return ground beef to skillet. Stir in taco seasoning plus ¼ cup water, and simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until the liquid is reduced. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Arrange romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, avocado, eggs, cheese, and seasoned ground beef on a platter. Add dressing and toss gently. Serve immediately.