Try this delicious and hearty skillet lasagna easily made in under half hour – perfect for busy weeknights!
The end of the summer break is fast approaching for a lot of families — kids are going back to school and parents are getting ready for rushed mornings and a whirlwind of afterschool activities. Meal planning/prepping has taken a back seat during the summer months for me, but I’m ready to go back to a solid routine again! That means stocking up on the kitchen essentials, prepping meals on Sundays for the week ahead, and cooking up easy and tasty meals on weeknights.
I am so excited to share this recipe with you guys today because, first and foremost, it’s incredibly simple! It’s cooked to perfection in ONE skillet – you get all of the flavors of the traditional lasagna without the need to cook the sauce, boil the noodles, and arrange everything into neat layers.
I gave the traditional lasagna a healthy spin without compromising any of the amazing flavors in this dish. When it comes to calories and fat, using cheeses made with part skim milk and lean ground turkey really makes a difference.
Lately I am in love with Jennie O’s Lean Seasoned Ground Turkey which has 70% less fat than regular ground beef. And it’s conveniently pre-seasoned with herbs and spices so I don’t have to add anything else.
Can you say effortless, hearty, and healthy meal for a family of four? Or perhaps an elegant, easy weeknight dinner for two, best enjoyed with a glass of red wine on the side ;)
Hope you’ll give this recipe a try!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 8 lasagna noodles, broken into thirds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Fresh basil and grated Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat and cook ground turkey and onion until browned. Add garlic and cook for one minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, and lasagna pieces. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and stir occasionally to evenly distribute the noodles as they soften, about 15 minutes. Add more water if the sauce becomes too dry. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drop ricotta by heaping spoonfuls onto the top of the lasagna, then cover and let it warm through.
- Top with shredded mozzarella and place under broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve with basil and Parmesan if desired.
This post is sponsored by Jennie O as part of the Switch Circle program. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you so much for reading and supporting this blog!