This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. Thanks for reading and supporting this blog! #SweetenTheSeason #CollectiveBias
Rich chocolate whoopie pies with fluffy marshmallow cream filling – they’re perfect for Halloween parties.
How is your October going? Have you checked off some fun Fall activities from your to-do list yet? Every Fall I like to experiment with new dessert recipes for upcoming holiday parties. Halloween is in two weeks and for me, that means chocolate desserts!
Chocolate Whoopie Pies are old-fashioned treats and they are definitely crowd pleasers. Whoopie pies are more like cakes than pies or cookies though. I like to think of them as rich chocolate cupcake tops sandwiched together by a cloud of fluffy marshmallow cream filling — it’s heaven in a bite!
They’re perfect for Fall get togethers and Halloween parties, and you can even pack them individually for party favors or for your trick-or-treaters.
This recipe makes one dozen 4-inch whoopie pies (I used a medium cookie scoop which holds about 1½ tablespoon of dough) but you can make them into smaller, bite-sized whoopie pies.
- 2 oz Baker’s unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 oz Baker’s semisweet chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup unsalted butter, diced
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 6 tbsps unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 7-oz jar Jet-Puffed marshmallow creme
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a heat proof mixing bowl, melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler over low heat or in the microwave at 10-second increments on medium power, stirring constantly, until it is melted. Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, vanilla, and the chocolate mixture. Whisk in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt, and stir until well combined.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoons (spacing them 2-inches apart) on prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the tops are no longer shiny and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer cakes to wire racks to cool completely.
- To make the cream filling, place butter in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Reduce speed to low and gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until incorporated. Beat in vanilla and marshmallow creme until light and fluffy.
- To assemble, spread a heaping tablespoon of filling on flat side of cookie and top with another cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies.
You can find the Kraft products in this recipe at the Holiday Bake Center in Walmart, which has all of the essential baking ingredients displayed in one place. This makes it super easy for moms to pick up all the ingredients they need to create quick, budget-friendly holiday recipes that kids would love.
What are you baking up this holiday season?