Deliciously moist and tender pound cake with the zesty taste of fresh lemon – serve this for dessert or afternoon tea time!
If there’s one recipe that everyone needs in their baked goods collection, it’s pound cake. It’s easy to make, and you don’t have to worry about cake layers, frosting, or decorations. They are simple enough for afternoon tea parties and weekend brunches, and always a crowd pleaser!
With this Lemon Yogurt Pound Cake, I added lemon zest and fresh lemon juice to give it a nice, bright flavor. It’s tart and sweet, tender and moist, making them totally scrumptious. I love that there’s no fussy piping involved – you just drizzle a sugar glaze on top and let it set. So easy and beautiful with not a whole lot of effort.
The trick with cake batter is to make sure that you don’t overmix them, which means you should stop mixing as soon as you can’t see the dry ingredients you just added – otherwise, it’ll turn out dense and chewy, not light and tender. Also, you’d want to start checking the cake at around 40 minutes. Take it out as soon as a skewer inserted into the middle comes out with just a few crumbs on it (or completely clean).
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup yogurt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsps fresh lemon juice
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tbsps milk
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 8 by 5 inch loaf pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together yogurt, vegetable oil, lemon juice, eggs, sugar, and lemon zest. Slowly whisk in dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- To make the glaze, whisk together confectioners' sugar and lemon juice. Pour over the cake and let set before serving.
This lemony pound cake is perfect for pairing with Lipton’s new black and herbal varieties and improved green teas. I’ve always been a fan of green teas, but lately I am enjoying the new Irresistible Lady Lipton which is filled with floral aromas and unique flavors of bergamot and citrus. Totally refresh the standard tea experience! If you love herbal teas, you’ll want to try new bold blends of Lemon Ginger, Peach Mango, and Apple Cinnamon.
Are you a tea drinker? What sweet treats do you like to enjoy your tea with?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.