This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #IndulgenceDoneRight #CollectiveBias
Creamy Potatoes Au Gratin is a perfect side dish for the holidays – it’ll easily become a dinnertime staple the whole family will love!
Potatoes are literally the perfect comfort food! They are versatile and there are so many ways to prepare them. Whether in classic mashed potatoes form, or in hash brown cups, or casseroles, I just can’t get enough of them. Today I’m sharing one of my all time favorite potato dishes to serve at holiday dinner: Creamy Potatoes Au Gratin.
I have created so many different versions of this dish, sometimes with three types of cheese, other times with a heavy cream mixture, and I even have a healthier version using evaporated milk. But I must say, this is hands down my favorite. The potatoes are thinly sliced and baked in a rich, velvety cheese sauce until the potatoes are tender and a golden brown crust develops on top. I’d say the dish is worthy of serving at holiday dinners – your guests will be impressed!
A few simple ingredients is all you need to take this dish from good to absolutely amazing. I used red-skinned potatoes sliced thinly, then arrange them in stacks in the casserole dish. I leave the skin on the potatoes because not only does it look good, but it also adds great taste and texture.
Pour the creamy, velvety cheese mixture over the potatoes and into the oven it goes.
Comes out perfectly delicious every time. Just look at this beauty!
- 3 lbs red-skinned or Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 3 tbsps unsalted butter
- 3 tbsps flour
- 2 cups Land O’Lakes® Buttercream Style Half & Half
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wash potatoes and slice into ⅛ inch thin slices. Arrange potatoes in a casserole dish coated with cooking spray.
- Toss gruyere and cheddar cheese together. Remove ½ cup of cheese mixture and set aside for topping.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook flour in melted butter for 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Whisk in half and half and garlic, bring to a simmer, and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in cheeses until melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over potatoes and cover with foil. Bake for 45 minutes, then remove foil and sprinkle reserved cheese on top. Bake for an additional 20-30 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and potatoes are cooked through.
Instead of using heavy cream or milk in the cheese sauce, I picked up the new Land O’Lakes® Buttercream Style Half & Half from Walmart and used it in this recipe. Not only does it give the potatoes an indulgently rich and creamy taste, Land O’Lakes® Buttercream Style Half & Half with its extra rich blend of real milk and cream is perfect for your morning coffee. Extra rich. Extra creamy.
Potatoes Au Gratin satisfies my craving for creamy, cheesy goodness and will be the dish that your guests want to come back for seconds, even thirds! It does require a bit of baking, but trust me, this is indulgence done right and it’s all worth it!