Breakfast Quesadillas are packed with a hearty filling of fluffy eggs, browned sausage, and hot, gooey cheeses!
Monday again, friends. How was your weekend? Hmmm, let’s see what have I been up to…
Hanging out with old friends!
My friends Christine, Grace, and I were like three little musketeers in high school and after we graduated from high school and college, we moved away from home and were always living in different places. Now, we’re finally living close to each other again in the tri-state area!
A special occasion presented itself for us to get together and eat cake ;) It’s a REVEAL party!
Looks like the bets on Team Mister and Team Miss are pretty even.
To the excitement of the Mom-to-be….it’s gonna be a girl!
Christine is the first one of us girls to have gotten married, and now she’s the first to have a baby! Are we getting old or what?! Now, we just have to wait five months before the little bundle of joy arrives. Guess I’ll start shopping for cute little bibs and onesies in pink. :)
In other news, THESE quesadillas!
I almost always have some corn tortillas on hand (I like to use corn tortillas in my tacos), but not flour tortillas. I only pick up whole-wheat or regular tortillas whenever I am in need of a quesadilla fix. Throwing them together with a few add-ins from the fridge usually results in a quick, easy, and satisfying meal for those times when I’ve got nothing planned and we’re hungry. This one is a breakfast version inspired by the Breakfast Burritos we had for brunch at King’s Diner a few weeks ago.
Melty cheddar and pepper jack cheeses, browned breakfast sausage, and fluffy scrambled eggs (I used a mix of whole eggs and egg whites) are sandwiched between flour tortillas, cooked until crispy and golden brown, then sliced into wedges and served with salsa verde.
These are super easy to make, and great for a weekend breakfast or breakfast for dinner (some black beans and guac on the side…Mmmm…)
I served the quesadillas with some storebought (homemade ones are probably best) salsa verde — highly recommend you don’t skip this step. A little spicy and tangy, it takes these hot and gooey quesadillas over the edge of deliciousness!
- 3 eggs (I used one whole egg and three whites)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Hot sauce, like Cholula or Tabasco (optional)
- 4 breakfast sausages
- 2 8-inch flour tortillas
- ⅓ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ⅓ cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs with salt, pepper, and a dash of hot sauce. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Cook eggs over medium heat until completely set. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, coat the same skillet with cooking spray and cook sausage patties until they are browned and crispy. Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Once the patties are cool enough to handle, roughly chop them into small pieces.
- Place tortillas on a griddle or skillet over low heat. Add a tortilla, then place half of the eggs, sausage, and cheese on one half of the tortilla. Fold the other half over and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until the tortilla is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Cut into wedges and serve hot.