Peaches and bourbon make the most delicious pairing in this lovely dessert – top with vanilla ice cream for the perfect barbecue dessert!
Hey guys, it’s National Barbecue Month and while your focus may be on the ribs, brisket, and baked beans, no menu would be complete without a little something sweet! You know that my heart belongs to just about anything falling into the category of dessert. :)
In my case, dessert calls for the use of some of those three pounds of fresh peaches I picked up last week. I’ve been eating those peaches just as they are, and have also taken the time prepare a special treat with bourbon.
The peaches become slightly soft and caramelized when cooked in a brown butter and bourbon sauce, and they are nothing short of heavenly when eaten with a bite of vanilla ice cream…can you imagine anything better?!?
Bourbon + peaches + cream = pure delicious combination! The bourbon sauce is such a simple, delicious sauce to drizzle on the peaches, and I’d imagine it would be great on nectarines and apricots too.
- 4 large firm ripe peaches
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsps bourbon
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Pit peaches (peel if desired) and cut into ½ inch slices.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and cook until nutty and amber in color.
- Stir in brown sugar, bourbon, cinnamon, and salt, and cook until the sugar is completely dissolved and the sauce is thickened and bubbly, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add peaches to the pan and cook for additional 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.