This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ShareTheHoliday #CollectiveBias
Pair this delicious side dish with your favorite main course at your next holiday party or potluck!
Christmas is just around the corner. If you’re looking up yummy recipes to share with friends and family, here’s a side dish recipe for you today! Brussels sprouts are one of my favorite side dishes around the holidays, especially when they are cooked with bacon. The combination of brussels sprouts and bacon is a match made in heaven, so decided to whip up a side dish with sautéed shredded brussels sprouts tossed with hearty farro, walnuts, smoky crispy bacon, and a warm shallot vinaigrette.
This side dish is hearty, flavorful, and perfect for taking to a holiday potluck dinner.
The ingredients can be prepped ahead which makes things so much easier.
- 1 cup farro, rinsed and drained
- 4 strips thick cut bacon
- l lb brussels sprouts, shredded
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 small shallots, sliced
- 2 tbsps balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place farro in a pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes until grains are tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp. Reserve one tablespoon of bacon fat and drain cooked bacon on paper towels. Crumble into bits when cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, in the same skillet with reserved bacon fat, cook brussels sprouts until they are slightly softened but still crisp.
- Heat olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully whisk in vinegar and mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked farro, bacon crumbles, brussels sprouts, walnuts, and shallot vinaigrette. Toss to coat well and serve immediately
To bring my side dish to the potluck dinner, I like using these Rubbermaid TakeAlongs in holiday prints and festive colors, which are the perfect vessels to transport your holiday meals and treats when sharing them with friends and family. I love how the soft lid grips the container tightly for a great seal to help prevent spills and the large tab makes it easy to open. Plus, they’re safe to go in the freezer, top rack dishwasher, and the microwave too.
Next time you’re at your local Walmart, be sure to look for these limited edition. For more great holiday inspiration, check out the #ShareTheHoliday site.