his shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Diageo. All opinions are mine alone. The following content is intended for readers who are 21 or older. #CollectiveBias #thewhiskey5
Maple Old Fashioned is a new spin on an old classic cocktail, with maple syrup and cinnamon for a Fall flavor.
Old Fashioned is one of those classic cocktails everyone should know about. When I think about Old Fashioned, I picture myself sipping on this drink, sitting on a black leather stool in a carved mahogany bar with dark wood panels.
But guess what? You can easily make it at home and enjoy it on your patio! You don’t need any fancy equipment to make it, and you’ll feel like quite the accomplished cocktail mixologist when you shake up a round for your guests.
While there are different ways to make an Old Fashioned, the classic version begins with a sugar cube muddled with bitters and orange juice, followed by a splash of whiskey over a big ice cube, then garnished with an orange peel twist. In this cocktail I’m sharing today, I am giving it my own spin with a Fall twist, using maple syrup and cinnamon.
To make this cocktail. I used the Seagrams 7, after discovering my favorite flavor of whiskey on Whiskey5’s website. I’m new to making whiskey cocktails and must admit to being a bit intimidated with knowing which whiskeys to use. Thanks to the Whiskey5 website, which was created to help you understand which flavors go into each whiskey, I was able to narrow down to the right one for me.
To find your flavor profile, you can simply select the two flavors that best suit your taste and use the toggles to set the intensity of each flavor. Then just click on “Get Results” and you get a flavor combination!
My results are smooth and sweet. Here are their flavor characteristics:
- Smooth — sip on these for a rich and creamy, mellow and soothing adventure for your senses.
- Sweet — delight in these delicate whiskeys that offer up a surprisingly smooth creaminess and notes of fresh fruits and dried apricots.
Use this store locator to find where you can find the products near you, and be sure to look out for this special Whiskey5 display at your store.
Have you found your whiskey flavor profile yet? I’d love to know what your results are!
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 orange peel strip
- 1 oz spiced maple syrup
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1.5 oz Seagrams 7 whiskey
- Sparkling water
- Orange peel and cinnamon stick, for garnish
- Warm maple syrup and cinnamon stick in a small saucepan. When it begins to simmer, remove from heat and let it steep for 30 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick and let cool completely.
- To make the cocktail, muddle orange peel with spiced maple syrup and bitters in a cocktail glass.
- Fill the glass with ice and add whiskey. Stir until the drink is well blended. Top with sparkling water and stir again. Enjoy!