Traditional Sloppy Joes lightened up with turkey and lots of vegetables – it’s delicious, hearty, and ready in under 30 minutes.
Do you ever have a really busy weekend and then finally sit down to relax on Sunday night just to realize your upcoming week is going to be just as hectic if not more? For those of you in a similar situation, try whipping up this Veggie Loaded Sloppy Joes for a quick and easy dinner on a hectic weeknight!
Busy weekdays call for easy meals, and this is it – a delicious family-friendly dish that comes together in under 30 minutes. Growing up, I remember sloppy joes being a meal I always looked forward to (it has something to do with eating it with both hands!) so I think it’s safe to say this is a kid-friendly dish. Like traditional sloppy joes, this dish is packed with hearty flavors yet lightened up with ground turkey and plenty of vegetables.
I created this dish using Manwich’s Bold variety (it also comes in Original and Thick and Chunky), which is a great meal solution for any night of the week that gets your family around the dinner table. Even though Manwich has no meat, it’s an easy quality ingredient that provides the canvas for you to customize the recipe to your liking. Plus, that sweet and tangy taste is perfect for sandwiches, pastas, and casseroles.
Ground turkey is browned then simmered in the same skillet (cheers for one-pan suppers!) with carrots, celery, sweet onions and bell peppers in a sweet and tangy sloppy joe sauce. This dish freezes wonderfully, so don’t be afraid to make a big batch. I’ve been really into cooking foods in big batches and then dividing up into portions for several meals down the road. You’ll be glad to have extra servings tucked away in the freezer for those days that you don’t want to cook and are tempted to order takeout.
Follow @Manwich for more recipe ideas and inspirations. Be sure to head over to the Manwich website to learn more about their recipes and more.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup bell peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-oz can Manwich Thick and Chunky Sloppy Joe Sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Sandwich rolls, split lengthwise and toasted
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add turkey and cook until browned and crumbled, about 5 minutes.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, bell peppers, and garlic, and cook until the vegetables are softened, 5-7 minutes.
- Add Manwich Sloppy Joe sauce and half cup of water to the skillet and simmer on low until the vegetables are tender the mixture is thickened, about 15 minutes. Add more water if necessary to achieve desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon over sandwich rolls and serve immediately.