Easy, gluten-free fruit crisp is always a crowd-pleasing dessert for the holidays!
I’ve been posting many holiday side dishes lately and today I’m moving on to desserts with this all-time favorite: Apple Blackberry Crisp!
We recently went to a wedding with all sorts of Fall inspired touches including hot bourbon apple cider, apple butter, and a table filled with mini pies. What I loved most was that some of the pies served were gluten-free, which was was a wonderful option for those who are on gluten-free diets. That got me thinking about desserts that everyone can enjoy, even those that are in a gluten-free diet.
Fruit crisps are my go-to holiday desserts because nothing is better than warm, sweet fruits seasoned with fragrant spices, topped with crunchy, buttery bits and paired with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. This effortless, scrumptious dessert is always a crowd pleaser.
Now as we all know the best part of a fruit crisp is the topping! I used Bob’s Red Mill Almond Flour which is ground from whole, blanched sweet almonds, and Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour. The flour is perfectly formulated for baked goods with terrific taste and texture – no additional specialty ingredients or custom recipes required. The protein in the sorghum flour helps give baked goods an almost wheat-like texture and aids in browning, so the topping turns out perfectly golden brown!
Pour this mixture over diced Granny Smith apples and blackberries, then into the oven it goes.
This Apple Blackberry Crisp is so easy to make in a pinch when you have family and friends over for the holidays. You can even get creative with different fruit combinations: apple and cranberry with orange zest, and pear and blueberry are some of my favorites.
- 4 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup gluten-free flour blend
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ½ cup gluten-free old fashioned oats
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 5 tbsps unsalted butter, diced
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To make the filling, combine apples, blackberries, cinnamon, brown sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl until coated evenly.
- To make the topping, whisk together flour, oats, sugar, salt and cinnamon in another bowl. Using a fork or fingers, mix in butter until topping has a crumbly consistency.
- Arrange apple mixture into a casserole dish or pie pan and sprinkle topping evenly on top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Serve warm.
Be sure to grab these Bob’s Red Mill coupons for next time when you’re shopping for your holiday baking needs!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.