This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. Thank you for reading and supporting this blog! #BlockPartyHero #CollectiveBias
Serve this colorful side dish at your next summer block party, cookout or backyard barbecue!
Growing up, block parties were always the highlight of summer! For the kids, it’s all about the water balloons, face painting, and being able to eat unlimited amount of cotton candy and popsicles. It’s also a great time to get to know the neighbors, and catch up with family and friends over delicious foods. This summer I hope you get to try this Quinoa and Pepper Pilaf – the perfect dish to share at any potluck or cookout!
Loaded with fresh, delicious peppers, shallots, and garlic, it makes for an amazingly colorful dish which could easily be served chilled, warm, or at room temperature. Add some grilled chicken or shrimp and you’ve got the perfect summer meal.
This side dish is very simple to make, and comes together quickly too. Feel free to toss in some chopped herbs like basil or parsley to add a fresh, bright flavor.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth
- 2 tbsps chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the peppers and quinoa and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the broth and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the quinoa is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Stir in the parsley. Season, if desired.
I used Swanson Chicken Broth in this recipe to enhance the flavors of the food it’s prepared with. It’s a great option for lighter summer dishes. I also used truRoots Quinoa which is certified USDA organic and non-GMO project verified whole grains (gluten-free too!)
All of these products can be found at Sam’s Club along with other summer party essentials. Be sure to check out this page for more recipe ideas and for the Summer Block Party events coming up at your local clubs!
For snacking, serve up some tortilla chips with Pace Organic Medium Salsa – it’s got just the right amount of heat and enjoyable for everyone. By the way, it’s also certified USDA organic!