Spicy tomato chutney makes this roast beef sandwich with fresh basil and Swiss cheese extra special.
If there ever was a delicious, flavor-packed, well-balanced roast beef sandwich, this would be it. It’s got whole grains, lean protein, and vegetables all in one bite, and a flavorful one too! Crusty whole wheat sandwich rolls piled with layers of roast beef, Swiss cheese, crisp lettuce, fresh basil leaves, and tomato chutney for a finishing touch.
For some time now, this has been one of those sandwiches that I like to just keep in my arsenal of quick, easy and absolutely delicious go-to recipes.
If you’ve never made chutney before, you’ll need to try it soon. At first bite, it’s sweet and tangy and then you’re hit with a lingering spicy kick to finish. It just imparts lots of amazing flavor and makes the sandwich extra special.
Got a panini press? Assemble your sandwiches and press them until golden and crisp, and you’ve got hot, delicious roast beef sandwiches!
- 1 lb plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsps sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 whole grain sandwich rolls, cut in half
- 8 slices Oscar Mayer Selects Natural roast beef
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 2 lettuce leaves
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add tomatoes, bell pepper, garlic, vinegar, red pepper flakes, bay leaf, and sugar, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and let it cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and let it cool to room temperature.
- When cooled, puree the mixture in a blender or food processor until desired consistency is reached. Season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread chutney evenly onto cut sides of bread. Layer roast beef, cheese, basil leaves, and lettuce and cover with the tops of the rolls. Serve immediately.
For my sandwiches, I used Oscar Mayer Selects Natural Slow Roasted Roast Beef which is made with no artificial ingredients and is minimally processed. With delicious taste and no artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors, you can rely on it to be one thing that’s not too good to be true. It’s also a perfect choice for those looking for quality cold cuts that have no gluten or by-products.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.