These Taco Lettuce Boats are the perfect lightened up addition to your Superbowl party or Taco Tuesday!
Game day weekend is here! Do you have your menu planned and ready to go? I’m a big fan of wings and dips when it comes to game day food, but I wanted to add one more healthy dish to my menu. These lightened up taco boats are served in individual pieces of romaine lettuce instead of tortillas, which gives it plenty of crunch. And the taco filling is certainly not lacking in flavor!
You can make the filing ahead and transfer it to your slow cooker, then simply set it on low to keep warm and forget it. As soon as it’s time for the game, spoon the taco filling into lettuce boats, garnish with your favorite taco toppings, and devour!
Who’s ready for Super Bowl on Sunday?
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 10oz can diced tomatoes with chiles
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper, more or less to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Romaine lettuce leaves, for serving
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar or monterrey jack cheese, diced onions, tomatoes, avocados, sour cream, fresh cilantro or green onions
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add ground turkey and garlic, breaking up chunks, and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes with chiles, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper and let simmer until the sauce is thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, spoon turkey mixture into individual lettuce leaves with desired toppings.