Coleslaw is dressed with a lemon tahini dressing for a crunchy, creamy bite without mayonnaise.
Happy Monday everyone! I hope you all enjoyed your Fourth of July weekend — I know I certainly did. I definitely overindulged in the eating and snacking department, which means going forward this week, I’ll be focusing on remedying the damage by loading up on fresh fruits and vegetables, and fitting in some workout sessions and runs.
Now that it’s Monday again, I have another Meatless Monday recipe for you This time, it’s a crunchy, creamy, and tangy coleslaw that is completely mayo-free! I usually steer clear of coleslaw because the vegetables always seem to be drowning in mayonnaise and that’s never appetizing to me.
The trick to making this upgraded, lightened-up version is to use a mixture of tahini and water. You can cut back on some calories this way and still enjoy a delicious, creamy slaw. As an added bonus? Tahini is a great source of beneficial vitamins and minerals, including healthy omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.
If you’ve never had coleslaw made without mayonnaise, I hope you’ll give this one a try!
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tbsps tahini
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tbsps water, or as needed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- Toasted sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together garlic, tahini, lemon juice, and honey until smooth. Add water one tablespoon at a time as needed to thin out to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Add cabbage and carrots to the bowl and toss to evenly coat. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Garnish with sesame seeds.