This shop is compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SimpleGoodness #CollectiveBias
This rich, creamy No-Bake Boston Cream Pie recipe is a new twist on a traditional dessert.
Growing up, my sister and I loved banana pudding and so it became the first no-bake dessert we both learned to make as teenagers. Layered with creamy custard, fresh banana slices, and NILLA Wafers, the hardest part was the waiting. Once assembled, you have to let it sit in the fridge overnight where the wafers melds into a delicious cake-like texture. For springtime celebrations this year, I wanted to come up with another nostalgic recipe using NILLA Wafers that brings back a lot of childhood memories: No-Bake Boston Cream Pie!
The traditional Boston cream pie isn’t actually a pie at all but a layer cake filled with custard cream and a shiny chocolate layer on top. To turn it into a true pie, I used NILLA Wafer crumbs to create a no-bake pie crust and filled it with a smooth and creamy custard all topped off with a rich chocolate glaze that is hard to resist. Instead of making the custard from scratch, you can also use vanilla pudding mix which makes this dessert super quick and easy.
This pie is perfect for serving at springtime potlucks and picnics. It’s simply so good and is a crowd pleasing dessert that wows friends and family.
- 3 large egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups NILLA Wafer crumbs
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ⅓ cup sugar, more or less to taste
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tbsps unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp light corn syrup
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually stir in milk until well combined.
- Cook over medium heat in a large saucepan, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Boil for one minute. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Press plastic wrap into custard surface to prevent a skin from forming and refrigerate until chilled, at least two hours.
- Meanwhile, place all pie crust ingredients into a bowl and mix until well combined. Press crumb mixture evenly into a 9" pie crust and freeze for 20 minutes.
- Place pie crusts on a serving platter and fill with chilled custard.
- In a microwave or double boiler set over simmering water, melt chocolate chips, butter, and corn syrup, and stir until smooth. Pour the chocolate glaze over the custard filling, and let the glaze harden.
How will you turn NILLA Wafers and Nabisco pie crusts into something extra special this Spring? And be sure to snag these Ibotta offers for when you purchase these ingredients from Walmart!