Cheesy, satisfying lasagna casserole made with chicken and spinach layered between lasagna noodles and creamy white sauce.
I love a classic meat and red sauce lasagna, but as it starts to warm up, I want to make a lightened up version of lasagna that I can still enjoy. The result is this cheesy, creamy, and flavorful White Lasagna with Chicken and Spinach!
This is the kind of meal that makes you feel so satisfied when you’re done. Filling, delicious and healthy at the same time. Healthy is the key because instead of using heavy cream, we’ve got skim milk and chicken broth to help recreate that creamy sauce. I also used part-skim ricotta and mozzarella instead of full-fat cheese, but you get all the cheesy goodness of regular lasagna, minus a few extra calories.
- 4 tbsps unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2½ cups milk
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked
- 2 cups skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 3 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 4 cups shredded skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, more for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions and garlic until onions are translucent, stirring frequently. Stir in flour until well combined. Whisk in chicken broth and milk gradually and simmer until the sauce is thickened. Add basil, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread ⅓ of the sauce mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Layer with 3 noodles and arrange ½ of ricotta, chicken, spinach, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese evenly over the noodles. Repeat the layers again, ending with sauce and more Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until lasagna is bubbly and the top is golden brown. Serve warm.