This blog post has been compensated by Dairy Farmers of America, Inc. All opinions are mine alone. #LaVaquitaCheese #CollectiveBias #Ad
Mix up your chicken dinners with this popular Mexican dish layered with tortilla chips, smoky chipotle sauce, shredded chicken and queso fresco.
Chipotle Chicken Chilaquiles is on the menu today! Chilaquiles are a traditional Mexican dish made with tortillas simmered in sauce until soft, with meats, cheeses, and garnishes on top. It’s often served for lunch and dinner, and even for breakfast. In fact, the first time I had it at a local cantina they put a sunny side up egg on top. No matter which meal you serve it at, it’s just delicious — I guess you really can’t go wrong with tortilla chips, spicy sauce, and cheese?!
We love and eat a lot of Mexican food over here, and so I love experimenting with recipes and recreating dishes I tried at restaurants that have become tasty staples at home. This Chipotle Chicken Chilaquiles is my own interpretation, a skillet version made quick and easy. It’s so simple to put together with store-bought rotisserie chicken, but you can also use poached and shredded chicken breast.
I love how the different components of the dish can be made ahead of time and then when dinner comes around, all I have to do is assemble them together. This is truly a comforting, satisfying one-dish meal, guaranteed to become a mainstay!
This dish is bursting with bold, authentic flavor thanks to La Vaquita® Queso Fresco found in the cheese section of Walmart. Hand wrapped in Texas, La Vaquita® cheese represents traditions handed down through generations of Mexican homestead cheese makers, and helps define how Hispanic cuisine is enjoyed in Texas.
Queso fresco crumbled on top for a delicious Mexican flair!
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce (optional)
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups tortilla chips
- ½ cup crumbled La Vaquita® Queso Fresco crumbling cheese
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 3 radishes, sliced
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, combine crushed tomatoes, chipotle peppers, and adobo sauce. Bring to a boil and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Add shredded chicken and cook until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Layer tortilla chips and chicken mixture in a casserole pan or cast iron skillet. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes until the sauce is bubbly.
- Garnish with crumbled La Vaquita® Queso Fresco, cilantro, radishes, and lime wedges. Enjoy!