This rice salad is full of autumn flavors like brussels sprouts, dried cranberries, and pumpkin seeds — a delicious side dish for the holidays!
One of the best things about the holiday season is all the delectable foods that make their annual appearance on the holiday menu. Many of you are probably focused on the holiday turkey and ham, but let’s not forget about the vegetables and side dish.
This salad combines both grains and autumn flavors like brussels sprouts, cranberries, and toasted pumpkin seeds! Served warm or at room temperature, it’s a great addition to your holiday meal.
So here we are one week before Thanksgiving. Are you ready for it?!?
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1¾ cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsps olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 3 cups brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsps parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbsps toasted pumpkin seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, bring brown rice and chicken stock to a boil and let simmer until the rice has absorbed the liquid and is tender, about 35 to 45 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat and cook garlic until fragrant. Add broccoli florets and brussels sprouts, and cook until the vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In small bowl, whisk together remaining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon zest, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine rice, broccoli, brussels sprouts, parsley, cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and dressing in a large bowl and mix until the ingredients are well coated. Serve warm or at room temperature.