This hearty Pumpkin Turkey Chili made in the slow cooker packs amazing flavors and is perfect for weeknight meals!
Fall is upon us with cooler weather, apple picking, Halloween, sweaters and boots, and of course hearty dishes that warm you from inside out. If you haven’t already, now is a good time to dust off the slow cooker and put it to good use, because…who doesn’t love a good one pot meal? You don’t have to dirty up a bunch of dishes, your dinner comes together with minimal effort, and the best part is that you can just set it and forget it!
This pumpkin chili is comfort food at its best. It’s got a blend of warm spices along with pumpkin puree to give it subtle sweetness and creamy texture. There is also a touch of heat and smokiness from the chipotle chili powder which adds a whole new dimension of flavor. The slow cooker really makes cooking during the week easy. I like to prep the ingredients in the morning before I go to work, then turn it on and let it simmer all day slow and low – that way I’ll have a delicious meal ready for me when I get home in the evening.
This chili is hearty, satisfying, and something I can feel good eating thanks to the Jennie O Lean Ground Turkey I used in this recipe, which is all natural and gluten free. With only 8 grams of fat per serving, it’s a great source of protein and alternative to beef or pork.
I cook the ground turkey before adding it to the slow cooker to bring out the best flavors. If you’re short on time, feel free to skip this step and add everything right into the vessel.
Now that the weather is cooling down, I’m looking forward to whipping this up on the regular for weeknight dinners. It would be perfect to bring to a football party or potluck too. Since it freezes well, you may want to double the recipe and save some for lunch the next day!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15oz can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 tbsps chipotle chil powder
- ½ tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, avocado, cilantro, green onions
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add ground turkey and cook, breaking it up into small pieces until well done, about 12 minutes.
- Transfer meat to a slow cooker and add the rest of the ingredients except for toppings. Cook for 3-4 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with desired toppings.
For more slow cooker recipe ideas, check out Jennie O and be sure to stay connected on Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram!