This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. Thank you for reading and supporting this blog! #NourishWhatsNext #CollectiveBias
Earlier this year, I decided to challenge myself and sign up to run my first half marathon. In the months leading to the race day, I trained intensely and diligently, running six days a week and taking only one rest day each week. I ended up crossing the finish line faster than my target time! Now that the first half marathon is in the books, my next goal is to train for the next race with even faster finishing time.
As with any exercise program, fueling properly is important for the body to fortify for what’s ahead and bounce back for the next workout. These days I pay a lot more attention to what I am eating (and not eating), particularly my protein intake. Not only is protein essential for a well-balanced diet, it helps me stay full longer and gives me the energy to keep going.
Here are a few of my favorite ways to sneak in protein:
1. Use Greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt – I like to use Greek yogurt in fruit parfaits, smoothies, and even in baked goods whenever recipe calls for yogurt. Also try replacing sour cream and mayonnaise with low fat Greek yogurt for an extra boost of protein.
2. Substitute pasta and rice with quinoa, which is a nice gluten-free alternative.
3. Make your own trail mix using protein-rich pumpkin seeds, almonds, peanuts and pistachios.
4. Snack on hummus, bean dips, steamed edamame, and roasted chickpeas to boost your protein intake.
5. Protein powder is a convenient and easy way to sneak protein into all your foods. Add a scoop to baked goods, pancakes, and even your morning oatmeal.
6. Avocados are not only protein packed, but also rich in fiber and good fats. Add some to sandwiches or salads, or make avocado egg toasts for breakfast.
To meet my protein intake, I like to have some Kellogg’s® Special K® Protein Meal Bars on hand which are delicious, nourishing, and convenient for a protein rich breakfast or snack on-the-go. I love this Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor which can be found at your local Kroger in the cereal aisle along with other Special K products.