Hashbrown potatoes form a delicious crunchy coating for these cod fillets — it comes together quickly for a weeknight dinner!
Are you a fan of breakfast for dinner? If you’ve been following my blog you’ve probably noticed by now breakfast is kind of my thing. I just love a delicious breakfast meal served up any time of day. Today, I’ve got a dinner recipe with a unique twist using hashbrowns in Potato Crusted Cod.
Cod is one of my favorite dishes to order at restaurants so I should be sharing it a lot more often. I experimented with the potato crusted cooking method and finally came up with this pan-sear then bake methods. Here are the exact results I was looking for: golden brown crust, crispy on the outside, perfectly tender and moist on the inside. They are completely hearty and filling and just goes to show that hashbrowns aren’t just for breakfast.
The potato coating gives the dish some nice flavor and texture, I think we could get just about anyone – kids and adults – to eat fish. Also, this is a versatile recipe so you can make it with other types of white fish or boneless, skinless chicken breasts if you like.
- 4 6-oz cod or other firm white fish fillets
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded potato
- 2 tbsps olive oil, for cooking
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375F. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Brush Dijon mustard on both sides of fillets and season with salt and pepper. Coat fish with hashbrown, pressing onto fish to help it stick.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil and cook until the potato crust is golden brown on both sides.
- Place cod on prepared baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes or until fish is cooked through and flakes easily. Serve with lemon wedges.
This dish is quick to prepare with the help of Hungry Jack Hashbrown Potatoes (just reconstitute with water according to package instructions) – I used the Cheesy flavor in this recipe but the new Black Pepper & Onion flavor would be awesome as well.
For more recipe inspiration, visit the Hungry Jack website and find their products in a store near you. Also, be sure to enter the Hungry Jack Hashbrowns for Dinner Contest between May 9 – June 19 by voting for your recipe photos for a chance to win a grand prize trip to a NASCAR race!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.