This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. Thank you for supporting this blog! #CollectiveBias #MadeWithTheMasters #HeinzBBQ
BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders are incredibly easy to make, and perfect for serving a crowd at summer cookouts!
The weather is warming up so that means it’s time to head outside for barbecues and cookouts! When having people over for dinner, I love dishes that can be made ahead with little effort but BIG on flavor – if you’re like me, then these BBQ Pulled Pork Sliders are exactly what you need on your menu.
After some prep work in the morning, the slow cooker takes over for the rest of the day until the meat becomes so tender it falls apart on its own. Then you just need to whip up this tangy buttermilk coleslaw and you are good to go. Coleslaw is a staple at summer barbecues and couldn’t be any easier to make.
If you want to make it a few hours ahead of time for a party or big dinner, you can make the dressing in the bottom of the bowl and top with the cabbage. I like a bit of crunch from the cabbage so I always toss in the dressing close to when I’m ready to serve it up. Otherwise if you do it way ahead of time it’ll get pretty soft.
This recipe makes a large amount of pork, but the leftovers are just as delicious! You can serve them in soft tortillas with your favorite taco toppings or use them to make quesadillas. Actually cheesy BBQ pulled pork quesadillas is something I look forward to making all the time.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup water or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 3-lb boneless pork shoulder, skin and fat trimmed
- 2 cups Heinz BBQ Texas Bold & Spicy sauce
- Slider rolls, for serving
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsps apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 16oz bag coleslaw mix
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place onions and garlic in an even layer in the bottom of a slow cooker and pour in water or chicken stock.
- Combine brown sugar, chili powder, paprika, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the spice mixture all over the pork and place the meat on top of the onions and garlic.
- Cover and cook on LOW until the meat is tender, about 6 to 8 hours. Remove the pork and shred the meat with two forks. Skim and discard fat from the cooking liquid and return shredded pork to the slow cooker. Stir in the barbecue sauce until it is well coated and cook for one more hour on LOW.
- Meanwhile, whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Toss in coleslaw mix and season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before serving with pulled pork sliders.
I used the new Heinz BBQ Texas Style Bold & Spicy Sauce which was crafted by Regional Pitmaster Robert Sierra of S&S Pit Crew. As you probably know, there’s nothing shy about barbecue in Texas, and a great Texas style sauce means bold flavors and big personality. This BBQ sauce captures the very best of Texas barbecue–combining spices like cumin and chili powder for a sauce that’s bold and flavorful with just the right kick!
The combination of bold and spicy is my favorite way to top my summer barbecue, but if you prefer less heat then 100% Natural Heinz Sweet & Thick is also a tasty option. If you love this recipe, check out other Heinz BBQ Sauce recipes here – the possibilities are endless!