Wake up to a wholesome, flavorful breakfast skillet made with sweet potatoes, turkey sausage, peppers, and eggs – and you can make it ahead of time too!
As much as I’d love to, I don’t always have time to make elaborate breakfast every morning. That’s when easy, make-ahead breakfast recipes come into rescue! Let me introduce you to my new favorite breakfast skillet. I made this one morning when I was trying to use up some leftover sweet potatoes and peppers, and I loved it so much that I made it again with the addition of breakfast turkey sausage for a heartier, protein-packed meal.
This scrumptious breakfast is big on flavor without the fuss. Everything gets cooked in one skillet – and that means there’s just one skillet to wash! I’m thinking this dish would be an amazing quick and easy weeknight dinner option. Or really anytime, I’m not one to ever turn down breakfast skillet.
You can easily halve this recipe to serve two or double this recipe and use a bigger skillet to serve lots of hungry people. I think you are going to love how easy this is to throw together.
To make ahead, you just have to cook the sausage and vegetables and then keep it refrigerated. In the morning, just pop the skillet in the oven until the ingredients are warmed through, then form some wells and crack eggs into each one. Bake until the eggs are cooked through, and breakfast is served!
- 2 tbsps olive oil, divided
- 8 oz Jennie O Lean Mild Turkey Breakfast Sausage
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 large eggs
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat one tablespoon of olive oil and cook sausage until crumbled and slightly browned. Stir in peppers and onions and cook until vegetables are softened. Set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to the skillet and cook potatoes until browned and tender. Add water if the mixture becomes too dry.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Add cooked sausage and vegetables to the skillet and season with salt and pepper to taste. Make six wells and break one egg into each well.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until eggs are set. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
* Make-ahead option: make as directed through step two. Cover and refrigerate up to 12 hours. Uncover, and bake as directed in steps three and four.
I used Jennie O Lean Mild Turkey Breakfast Sausage to add tons of flavor and a boost of lean protein to this scrumptious breakfast skillet. The sausage is made with pre-seasoned lean ground turkey which contains less fat than regular pork sausage. And it’s gluten free too!
I did go back and forth if I should use turkey bacon or breakfast sausage (so hard to choose because I love both) in this recipe, and so I made two test batches. So for those who are wondering…either works! You can use bacon or sausage and they turn out just amazing!
This post is sponsored by Jennie O as part of the Switch Circle program. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you so much for reading and supporting this blog!