Moist and tender muffins filled with apple pieces and topped with buttery, cinnamon crumbs.
Hi friends, hope you had a great weekend. We experienced our first winter storm of the season, and it had quite an impact – over 25 inches of snow in New York City, and there was even a city-wide travel ban! For me, the result was a much needed weekend spent relaxing at home. No complaints about that :)
With a full-time job, some blog projects on the side, and now a half-marathon to train for, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and exhausted. My goals for this year are to taking better care of myself, which means getting quality sleep (something my mom tells me all the time, and moms are always right!), eating well, and drinking lots of fluids.
Saturday morning I was inspired to bake up these Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins so that I could enjoy them with a cup of hot tea while snuggled up under a warm blanket on my couch.
Moist and tender muffins with pieces of juicy apples and buttery crumbs on top – they’re so simple, yet so delicious. In fact, I know it’s a big call, but I think you could say that it’s the perfect companion to a soothing cup of tea.
These Apple Cinnamon Crumb Muffins are easy to whip up – which means you can have them in the oven in no time at all. Just before serving, I like to sprinkle some confectioner’s sugar on the top. This is totally optional, but it does look really pretty. And so there you have it – these absolutely delicious muffins that could quite possibly be my new favorite.
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsps all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsps cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups apple, peeled and diced
- In a medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line muffin tins with paper baking cups or coat with cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl using a handheld or stand mixer, cream together butter and sugars until smooth, about 1 minute. Beat in sour cream, vanilla, and eggs one at a time.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, and mix until just combined (do not overmix). Fold in apples.
- Fill muffin tins about ¾ full and sprinkle crumb mixture over muffin batter. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
And what better way to enjoy them with a cup of hot tea – I have it for breakfast and sometimes in the afternoon with a touch of honey – just so soothing and comforting.