A summer campfire treat and a classic winter drink combined into one!
It’s been unusually warm over here I don’t know if it’s a good thing or not. After two bitterly cold winters, we’ve been having warm temperatures in the 60s for the past few days. It feels almost like early Spring. Today I passed by many restaurants with people dining outside…in the middle of December!
Despite the warm weather, it doesn’t stop me from enjoying a cup of this S’Mores Hot Chocolate. I wanted to bring back a summer campfire treat with this hot chocolate recipe. It’s got warm, toasty marshmallows, graham cracker crumbs on the rim, and more chocolate syrup drizzled on top to seal the deal. Who wouldn’t love that!?
To stick the graham cracker crumbs onto the rim, I start by rubbing a melted marshmallow on the edge, then dip the rim on a plate of cracker crumbs.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 oz dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, to taste
- ⅓ cup mini marshmallows
- Graham cracker crumbs, for garnish
- Chocolate syrup, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk over medium heat until it comes to a simmer. Add chocolate and cocoa powder and whisk until melted. Add sweetener to taste.
- Rub a melted marshmallow along the rim of each mug. Pour graham cracker crumbs onto a plate and dip the mugs into the crumbs until the rims are well coated.
- Pour hot chocolate into the mugs and add marshmallows on top. Using a kitchen torch, toast marshmallows until brown.
- Drizzle chocolate syrup on top and serve immediately.
Luckily for those who are watching their sugar intake, this recipe is adapted to swap out sugar for SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener. That means you can still enjoy the beverage you love and feel good about the choices you’re making. In fact, by replacing three tablespoons of sugar per day with SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, you can save almost 130 calories. By the way, SPLENDA® sweetener products can be used almost anywhere sugar is used, including cooking and baking. It’s a smart sweetening choice for a balanced lifestyle, especially as we approach the holidays!
Find recipes, tips, tricks and more at SweetSwaps.com. I hope you get to enjoy this soon!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.