This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser, Dr Pepper. All opinions are my own. #OneOfAKindFan #CollectiveBias
If you’re a sports fan like me you are excited about the food as much as the game itself. Any recipe that can be associated with game day or tailgating is right up my alley. To keep from getting stuck in a game day recipe rut, I’ve been testing out some new ideas in the kitchen. The result is this one of a kind, easy, and tasty Dr Pepper Chipotle Ribs, perfect for your next college football, tailgating, or game day gathering!
These ribs are first cooked in a slow cooker until tender and flavorful. This method is so simple – just set it and forget it! The ribs are then finished off on the grill or under the broiler to get that nice char and crispy edges. Using Dr Pepper as a cooking liquid not only gives the ribs a hint of sweetness I love in barbecued meats but also helps tenderize it. You can easily prep this ahead of time and then finish off in the oven or on the grill right before game time.
- 3 lbs pork spare ribs or baby back ribs, cut into 2-3 portions
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp adobo sauce (optional, if you prefer more heat)
- 1½ cups Dr Pepper
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- Spray the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir to combine salt, pepper, and chili powder. Rub the mixture on both sides of ribs.
- Place ribs and chipotle chiles in slow cooker and pour Dr Pepper over ribs.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting for 7 to 8 hours, or until ribs are tender. Remove ribs and discard liquid.
- Brush barbecue sauce over ribs. To broil, set ribs on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and broil for 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until charred. To grill, place ribs on a grill over medium heat and grill for 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
I picked up a 12-pack 12oz can of Dr Pepper from Target. Plus, from Nov. 1 – Dec. 12, use Cartwheel to receive 5% off of 12-packs and 2-liters of Dr Pepper or 10% off of 6 or 8-packs of bottles and cans. Check out this site for more great recipes ideas using Dr Pepper.
From Nov. 2 – Dec. 13, those who upload an Instagram photo showing how they are a #OneOfAKindFan of Dr Pepper will be entered for a chance to win a $100 Target GiftCard™. A winner will be awarded each week. Must be 18 or older to enter.