These Korean Beef Bulgogi Tacos are easy to make and simply delicious when topped with a crunchy, tangy apple carrot slaw.
Taco trucks are all over the city and there is a reason for that – they’re good eats! This recipe is inspired by my favorite tacos from Kimchi Taco Truck which I used to visit at least once a week.
I created my own version using thinly sliced beef and a flavorful marinade made with gochujang, a thick, fermented Korean chili paste. Once you get the marinade part out of the way, these tacos are fairly quick to finish up.
I made this dish a few times and each time I served with different toppings: sliced radishes, salsa, lime juice, cabbage slaw, and finally this Apple Carrot Slaw. It’s really the best topping in my opinion! It holds up well against the spicy flavors of the beef and adds a good crunch to the tacos.
- 2 tbsps rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and shredded
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb beef steak (ribeye or flank are good cuts), thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsps gochujang
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsps brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece ginger, grated
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for cooking
- 8 to 10 6-inch corn tortillas, warmed or toasted
- Sliced jalapenos (optional)
- To make the apple carrot slaw, whisk together rice vinegar, lime juice, vegetable oil, and sugar in a large bowl. Add carrots, apples, and sesame seeds; toss to coat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Chill until ready to serve.
- To make the bulgogi, combine beef, onion, soy sauce, gochujang, sesame oil, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, and black pepper in a large ziptop bag and distribute evenly. Seal tightly and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- In a skillet over medium high heat, cook beef until slightly charred, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- To serve, divide beef bulgogi among tortillas and top with apple carrot slaw and sliced jalapenos if desired.