This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. Thank you for reading and supporting this blog! #FallMoments #CollectiveBias
Chewy soft pretzels served with warm cheese dip are the ultimate party snacks – you won’t be able to stop at eating just one!
It’s officially football season, so today I’ve got a revved up pretzel and dip recipe for your Fall tailgating or game day party at home. Because let’s be honest…football is so much better with some game time snacks.
I love watching football games with people, especially those who know every single rule of the game and don’t mind explaining, because I am always the one asking questions. Why did the team get a penalty? What just happened? And then some. But…my lack of football knowledge is made up by the fact that I always put together a delicious game day menu full of sweet and savory nibbles. I bet that is the number one reason people keep watching the game with me. ;)
I was looking for a game day snack recipe that is a crowd pleaser and also easy to eat. So I thought, it’s hard to find someone who doesn’t like crusty and chewy pretzel bites, especially when they’re dipped in a velvety smooth cheese sauce. If these pretzel bites are on the menu, it’s sure to be a delicious game day!
I was so happy with how easy these easy soft pretzel bites turned out. As much as I love baking bread completely from scratch, sometimes you just need a recipe that doesn’t involve a lengthy process. Since I used storebought pizza dough, there is no dough kneading or rising involved, so these chewy pretzels came together in no time.
Don’t forget to add baking soda to the boiling water – it give these pretzel bites their distinctive flavor!
- 14oz pizza dough
- 3 tbsps baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- Coarse salt, for sprinkling (optional)
- 2 tbsps unsalted butter
- 2 tbsps all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide pizza dough into few pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each into a rope about ½ inch thick, and then cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add baking soda and pretzel pieces (depending on the size of your saucepan, you might need to cook in batches), and boil for 30 seconds, stirring constantly to prevent sticking.
- Remove dough pieces with a slotted spoon and transfer to baking sheet. Brush with egg and sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake for 14−16 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter and stir in flour. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually whisk in milk and bring to a simmer. Stir in cheese and cook until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbly. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
For the pretzel bites and cheese dip, I used Pillsbury Classic Pizza Crust and Sargento’s Shredded 4-Cheese Mexican Blend, both of which can be found in Walmart.
For more Fall entertaining ideas, check out Simple Entertaining Social Hub! What are your favorite game day snacks?