Spice up your typical quesadilla and make this Tuna Avocado Melt Quesadilla topped with fresh, crunchy pico de gallo!
As you can see, I’ve been on a tuna melt kick lately. I’ve been making a lightened up version of tuna melt sandwich by swapping out mayo and using Greek yogurt and ripe avocado to bind the mixture together. Just as it seemed I was going to get bored with eating the same thing over and over again, an idea came into my head and I thought, what if I turn the sandwich into a quesadilla?
Let’s not forget, everything tastes better with more cheese :)
Chipotle-seasoned tuna, creamy avocado, and a mix of sharp cheddar and pepper jack cheese is sandwiched between flour tortillas then toasted to golden brown in a hot skillet. The main star is obviously the quesadilla here, but the crunchy pico de gallo takes them over the edge of deliciousness. Don’t skip it!
And I didn’t just use any canned tuna. I used Bumble Bee Prime Fillet Albacore Tuna with Chipotle and Olive Oil, which added an incredible pop of flavor. FYI, they also come in two other gourmet flavors: Sundried Tomatoes and Jalapenos. I love these pouches/cans of seasoned tuna because they’re so convenient, nutritious, and really add another layer of flavor to tuna-based recipes like tuna salads and casseroles. You can even use them as fish taco filling!
Try these out the next time you are looking for a no-fuss, protein-packed meal that is ready in under 30 minutes. Or cut them up into mini wedges and serve them as finger food – they make great party bites and are sure to be a hit!
Hope you like this recipe. What is your favorite way to use Bumble Bee tuna? Leave a comment below – I’d love to know!
- 2 5-oz can tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsps red onion, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 10” flour or whole wheat tortillas
- 1 ripe avocado, seeded and slices
- 1⅓ cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (or a mix of sharp cheddar and pepper jack cheese)
- Pico de gallo, for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine tuna, lime juice, red onion, salt and pepper, and mix well.
- In a non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray, heat tortilla over medium heat. Place ¼ tuna mixture on one half of tortilla, top with avocado slices and ⅓ cup cheddar cheese, and fold tortilla over.
- Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until tortilla turns golden brown; flip and cook the other side until browned and cheese is melted.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Cut into wedges and serve with pico de gallo.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own. Thank you so much for reading and supporting this blog!