Delicious spiced chickpea and carrot fritters — perfect for a healthy lunch or as a snack!
Happy Labor Day friends! Do you have some fun plans on the agenda — maybe a family picnic, cookout, or a day at the beach? Apparently we’re supposed to get a lot of rain today, but hopefully yours will be sunnier than mine.
I have some tasty little chickpea patties to share today. The recipe idea came about when I had too many cans of chickpeas in the pantry that needed to be used up. I make chickpea and carrot salad every so often, so I thought I’d try to reinvent the dish this time.
Chickpeas are whizzed together in the food processor and then mixed with fresh crunchy carrots and spices to produce these protein-packed vegetarian fritters. Fritters might make you think of patties swimming in grease, but not these! They are light, deliciously healthy, and really satisfying!
The combination of chickpeas and carrots goes incredibly well with the warm spices like curry powder, coriander, and cayenne pepper. These fritters are great served as appetizers, but you can also serve them as the main component of your meal with a salad on the side. To make it even better, whip together a quick yogurt sauce for dipping. Yum!
By the way, I am attending the Friday Night Dinner at Natural Gourmet Institute, a culinary school in NYC that supports healthy cooking, to cook up a three-course gourmet vegetarian meal (stay tuned for my review). The lovely people there offered me a discount code to share with you, so if you happen to be in NYC, don’t miss out: type in “TheTastyBiteBlog” at checkout to get 15% on any of the four currently scheduled September dinners!
- For the sauce:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp lime juice
- For the fritters:
- 2 cups chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup carrots, shredded
- 2 tbsps flour
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, curry powder, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep refrigerated until ready for serving.
- Place chickpeas in a food processor or blender and pulse until the mixture is still slightly chunky. Transfer into large bowl and stir in carrots, flour, curry powder, cumin, coriander, and cayenne pepper. Season with salt and pepper.
- Shape mixture into 8 patties. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and cook patties for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through. Serve with yogurt sauce.