It’s Monday again. Mondays usually begin with a really slow start for me, but definitely not so today! Last week has been a long, busy one for me. I’ve been assigned to four deals that are simultaneously closing right before the holidays (pre-New Year frenzy, I guess?), so I spent my workdays reviewing piles after piles of documents with hardly any break in between. Over the weekend, though, I slept for at least ten hours each night, watched tons of television, ate meals I did not cook myself (courtesy of my mom, the Chef), did not partake in any pre-holiday activity — shopping, baking, gift wrapping…zilch — and as a result, feel much, much rested now. My hands are still jittery from the two sips of coffee I had this morning, which I probably didn’t need.
However, that means I still have batches and batches of cookies that need to be baked and sent to friends! It’s the best way to spread the holiday cheer after all.
This year, I’ve added a new cookie to my holiday baking list, in addition to my tried-and-true Oatmeal Raisin Cookies and Peanut Butter Sandies. These Nutella cookies are so amazing and easy to make; they require just six ingredients! The recipe comes from my sister, and I don’t know why it took me so long to try out the recipe. I adapted it to make use of the ground hazelnut I have (you can get them from Bob’s Red Mill) and also added Nutella for added flavor.
The best part about this recipe is that it doesn’t contain a trace of flour, so you don’t have to worry about serving them to gluten-free cookie lovers. I’ll be bringing these cookies to the work holiday party since everyone can enjoy them. The ground hazelnut keep these cookies moist and chewy, and if you don’t have hazelnut, feel free to substitute with ground almond or ground cashew nuts even (they sell it at Trader Joe’s now!)
I vow to keep you happily baking well into the new year with a cornucopia of desserts recipes, so stay tuned for more sweet treats this week!
- 3/4 cup ground hazelnut
- 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tbsps unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 large egg white, preferably cold
- 2 tbsps Nutella
- Preheat oven to 320F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together ground almond, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Meanwhile, with a stand mixer or hand-held mixer, beat egg white until stiff peaks are formed.
- Using a spatula, transfer half of the egg white mixture into the dry ingredients and fold until they are incorporated. Repeat this with the remaining half of the egg white mixture. Fold in Nutella until incorporated. Spoon one tablespoon of batter onto prepared baking sheets, leaving two inches of space in between. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until small cracks start to form on top of the cookies.
- Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and let them cool completely before serving.