Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes is a simple, wholesome, and flavorful dish everyone will love!
Back-to-school season is one of the busiest times of the year, and families are on the lookout for easy meals that deliver big on flavor. I came up with this dish a while ago when I had made several baked sweet potatoes for a previous meal, and had too many left over. I then decided to make another meal out of them by stuffing them with a quick beef chili and topping with cheese.
The results are these easy and flavorful Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, the ultimate dinner solution any night of the week! I used lean ground beef to make a quick, one-skillet chili to spoon over the fluffy sweet potatoes, but feel free to substitute with ground turkey or chicken if you prefer a lighter dish. They are perfect for even the busiest weeknights, especially when you don’t want to spend a ton of time in the kitchen.
I like to serve these with a green salad loaded with lots of fresh, crisp veggies. These potatoes also go really well with a delicious bowl of soup.
- 12 oz lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 package McCormick Organics Chili Seasoning Mix
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, cooked until tender
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown ground beef and drain excess fat. Stir in onions and peppers and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chili seasoning mix and diced tomatoes. Bring to boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered until chili is thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble, split open potatoes with a knife lengthwise. Spoon chili into the center of each potato then top with cheese. If desired, place stuffed potatoes under the broiler or oven until cheese is melted.
Instead of baking the sweet potatoes in the oven, I use the trusty (and EASY!) microwave method: prick the potatoes all over with a fork, then microwave on high for about 8 to 10 minutes until tender, turning half way through.
The chili portion of this dish is made with the new McCormick Organics Recipe Mixes, taking the extra prep work out of cooking. With four flavors to choose from – Taco Seasoning, Chili Seasoning, Fajita Seasoning, and Brown Gravy Mix – these ingredients are awesome to have on hand for making wholesome and flavorful dinners you will feel good about. In addition to being conveniently packaged, I also appreciate the fact that they are certified organic and non-GMO.
What are your favorite ways to use these seasoning mixes? Share in the comments below!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.