This Veggie Lo Mein is a quick, easy, and healthy version of the Chinese takeout favorite.
Remember that part-time job I mentioned I had during high school? Well, having seen how everything is made makes me think twice about ordering Chinese takeout, but from time to time, I love to indulge in dishes I wouldn’t necessarily make at home: egg foo young, crab rangoon, and shrimp toasts are my guilty pleasures. The truth is some dishes are very difficult to replicate at home (beef chow fun is almost impossible to make without a high BTU stove), but others are just as good when homemade if not better!
Veggie Lo Mein is a simple dish that hits the spot without the excess fat and sodium. The flavors are exactly what I was looking for in a homemade lightened-up, low-sodium version.
Plus, you can use whatever fresh veggies you have on hand. I had some shredded carrots and cabbage leftover from making cole slaw and I also tossed in some snow peas and sliced mushrooms. Feel free to use whatever veggies you like – broccoli florets, red peppers, sugar snap peas…they all work great.
The supermarket I go to carries egg noodles, but you can also substitute with spaghetti (regular, whole wheat, or gluten-free). Just cook the spaghetti a wee bit past al dente so the noodles have a softer texture like the way egg noodles are.
Hope you give this a try!
Quick note: I’ve recently updated the Recipe Index up at the top to reflect a grid display so it’s easier to navigate. This should make browsing through the categories like Breakfast and Brunches and Desserts and Sweet Treats much easier :)
- 2 tbsps reduced sodium soy sauce, or more, to taste
- 2 tsps sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- ½ tsp Sriracha or chili-garlic sauce (optional)
- 8 oz egg noodles
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 stalk celery, sliced thinly
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup snow peas, trimmed
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil, and ginger. Set aside.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook egg noodles according to package instructions. Drain, toss with a bit of oil to prevent sticking, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add garlic and cook until just fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in mushrooms, carrot, celery, cabbage, and snow peas. Cook, tossing frequently, until the vegetable are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked egg noodles and sauce to the skillet, then toss gently to combine. Serve immediately.
Want more homemade Chinese takeout dishes?